Thursday, December 30, 2004

Conversation with Caitrin

"Kids, I'm going to take down the tree. Is that cool with everyone?"
"Sure."
"No problem, Mom."
"Fine with me."

"WHAAAAATTTT?"
Thud, thud, thud, thud.... Bam! Double doors fly open.
"Mommy, don't take the tree down." Sobs, tears, hair in face.

"Sweetie, what's the matter?" Pulling her close to me.
"It's just that I love Christmas. I wait all year for it to come, it's the only good thing about winter and it's oh... vvver... t-t-too f-f-fassst." Sob, sob, holds onto me.

"We had a wonderful Christmas, didn't we?"
"YES!" Agony in her voice. Big smile, wet cheeks, tight sqeeze.

So we spoke about picking the tree out, decorating it, and opening gifts.

"We need the tree down by Sunday, but until then, you get to decide. You let me know when you're done with Christmas. Until then, it's stays up." It's Caitrin's ninth Christmas. Nine Christmasses. That's all.

I kissed her on the forehead. She put both arms around my waist. We stood looking at the white lights and glass balls together. I'm glad it's still Christmas a little while longer

No comments: