Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ode to Donuts (Guest Blogger)


Jon Bogart, darling hubster, loves a good donut

The following poem was composed by Jon and sent to his college freshmen. He teaches composition at Xavier and brings donuts to every class (they meet at 8:30 a.m., a brutal hour for 18 year olds).

So sweet... :)


An Ode to Donuts

Some think me a nut
for searching for
the perfect donut.

Who are they to mock,
I ponder. They no doubt
have never had a donut rock
their world.

Warm and sweet,
Soft and lovely—
Donuts are replete
with character.

“They jest at wounds who never felt a scar.”
Shakespeare, no doubt, traveled far
for the perfect éclair (whose flair was renown)
or a resplendent Tiger Tail, the crown
jewel in the case.

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Didn't know your'e "darling hubster" taught at Xavier. You must have mentioned it before but I just didn't catch on. If you keep going with your'e studies Julie may we someday expect a double dose of Bogarts at Xavier?....

Unknown said...

Bill, that's a great question! Jon's an adjunct, actually. He teaches all over the place - Xavier, University of Phoenix and University of Cincinnati.

Xavier does hire MAs to teach adjunct in the theology department so that idea had certainly crossed my mind. :) But I have to finish this beast first.. :) I have two more classes after this one and then the 30 page paper. Then from there I want to write a book and then I'll see about teaching.