Monday, February 20, 2006

BAFTAs: Brokeback Mountain Takes Home Four







The British Academy of Film and Television Arts honored Brokeback Mountain with four awards last night. Brokeback Mountain won the awards for Best Adapted Screeplay, Best Director and Best Picture in addition to the surprise of the whole evening--Jake Gyllenhaal (Jack Twist in BBM) for Best Supporting Actor. He was demonstrably shocked and elated!

Gyllenhaal: 'Totally unexpected'
Brokeback Mountain star Jake Gyllenhaal beat George Clooney, Matt Dillon and Don Cheadle to win best supporting actor at the British Academy Film Awards.

Jake Gyllenhaal
Gyllenhaal plays gay cowboy Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain
For me, this was totally unexpected. It was such an honour just to be nominated.

I feel like I've always been supported by the British public. It's been so wonderful. Ever since I was on the stage in the West End, and in Donnie Darko, I feel like the British were the first to champion that.

This award is premature I think, but I'll take it.

I think if George Clooney were only one nominee - if he weren't twins tonight - he would have won. His movies are amazing. He has such courage as a film-maker. Particularly given the position that he is in.

That such a popular person can still stand up and say what is in his heart, to me is more admirable than anything.

I think all films are political, no matter what - whether they are asking you to ignore your everyday life or whether they are asking you engage with it.

With this film, in particular, I've had a lot of people say to me. 'thank you for making it...I've been waiting for this film since I was born'.

To have people go into the theatre and have an experience like that - to feel it's made a social impression, that social impression to me is the aftermath of an artistic impression, and so much more important.

When I read the script I just immediately responded to it. Every love story has its obstacles - this is one of those last great obstacles. It moved me like any love story.


From the BBC

1 comment:

David Blakeslee said...

I still haven't seen BBM yet, but I like Jake's quote and I can easily see why you found it worth posting on your blog. Thanks for the on-going updates on this movie and its cultural impact!