Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bits and pieces of a week

Super Bowl, Super Snore.

Not much to report on this snoozer (though if you were a big Steelers fan, you must be elated). Thought college ball had more to offer as far as big entertainment this year. Rolling Stones make me laugh. :)

Other than that, this week has seen me teaching. I spoke at a homeschool group in Indiana and a Catholic Homeschool Workshop on Saturday here in Cincinnati. My first ecumenical experience... The Catholics pray in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost while the Protestants pray in Jesus's name. I got a kick out of the differences given that I'm reading Luther and Council of Trent documents these weeks.

Still thinking lots about homosexuality as we discuss it over on Jesus Creed. Admit to being encouraged by some of the emergent thinkers (Curt and Scott Mo posted some really detailed perspectives that take the OT passages into account). Still stunned when someone says that we can just tell homosexuals that the Bible calls their kind of sex sin and that is enough.

I'm thrilled that Brokeback Mountain has so many Oscar nominations. I have some theological reflections on the story that I may post in the future. In the meantime, if you haven't seen that movie yet, go! It's well worth the big screen. The bigger the better. Gorgeous cinematography.

And the big news this week: I will be starting a weekly blog on religious themes for UPI! More details forthcoming. I'm looking forward to the challenge and increased exposure.

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

The Super Bowl did not even merit a mention in my blog. I watched the game because I run a little "prediction contest" at work where we all guess what the score and various stat lines will be. But overall, I felt like I had wasted my time afterward, a victim of "must-see TV" hype.

I commend you for hanging in there over at Jesus Creed. I simply can't invest time in conversations with people like Scot McKnight - the tone there still has too much of the majesterial "we have the answers" flavor but I appreciate your effort to work through the issues with them.

I want to know about this weekly blog for UPI. That sounds like a paying gig! Sheesh, way to go, if that's what it is! You obviously know how to play the publishing game. I'm too busy doing social work to figure out how to enter that world but as time allows, I would like to learn what hoops you have to jump through to write a column, or whatever it is you'll be doing. I could see myself doing something like that as well...

Unknown said...

Lol! I like being at Jesus Creed (for this topic). I'm encouraged!

About the blog... NOT for pay. :) Of course. It is resume building. I am working on a book proposal for another publisher too on some of these topics. I write all the time so I may as well participate when invited. I was recommended by Xavier to UPI so that is how they found me.

Should be fun. I submit my first one tomorrow. Will post a link when it's up.

You really ought to write too, Dave, for a bigger audience. We'll talk about it some time.