Monday, June 11, 2007

I've been to three graduation parties this weekend


Graduations are everywhere, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

...hugging my kids' friends, eating the requisite snacks, watching Jon et al play cornholes (total Cincinnati game)...

I taught many of the kids I saw this weekend and all the celebrated graduates. In fact, at one party, an invited guest and student from my online business walked in and said, "Hi Mrs. Bogart. I'm Ben... (last name)? I took your essay class?" I replied: "Sorry I teach so many students, I don't always remember their names." He responded, "My user ID was oldbenkenobi..." And bing! I knew and remembered. :) We had a great time catching up. I always know them by email or user ID.

My business is seven years old so it's just bizarre to be at this point to see these kids I knew as littler kids heading off to college. One of my students (who both took writing and theater from me at our co-op) smiled hugely when I arrived at his party. He said, "I'm not going to college!" I got it. :) He's got a band. He writes music. He gave me their first CD. I felt so happy for him that he is finally relieved of school. It's been this constant source of interference with his musical life (which has been mostly self-taught... bass, drums, piano).

I wonder how all these kids will do. It will be fun to watch.

1 comment:

Ampersand said...

It's not just your own birds leaving the nest, it's a whole flock of them!