Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Listen Christians



Listen Christians
I was hungry
and you formed a humanities club
and you discussed my hunger.
Thank you.

I was imprisoned
and you crept off quietly
to your chapel in thhe cellar
and prayed for my release.

I was naked
and in your mind
you debated the morality of my appearance.

I was sick
and you knelt and thanked God for your health.

I was homeless
and you preached to me
of the spiritual shelter of the love of God.

I was lonely
and you left me alone
to pray for me.
You seem so holy;
so close to God.
But I'm still very hungry
and lonely
and cold.

So where have your prayers gone?
What have they done?
What does it profit a man
to page through his book of prayers
when the rest of the world
is crying for his help?


(This poem was circulated at a poor people's rally in Alberquerque New Mexico and I found it in James Cone's book Speaking the Truth on page 113.)

1 comment:

rick said...

Wonderful poem, Julie. There is enough inspiration here to keep Gamaliel going for weeks. Thanks for posting it here.