Saturday, October 08, 2005

Post it Notes to the Internet

Blogging is taking a back seat to life these days.

Here's why:



Murderous Maths have taken over our homeschool. Entertaining, hilarious, practical guides to math for literary math-phobics (written by the witty British), these books have made me interested in math, maybe for the first time.

Did you know that in Britain, Australia and New Zealand, they say "maths" instead of math?

I started a new blog about my homeschool not for public consumption but to give me a better record of what the heck we do all day so that at the end of the year I don't have to have the memory of an elephant to track down all the cool stuff we did. (You know, like how many episodes of Seinfeld we've memorized and stuff...)

We have our first big Greek test next Tuesday and have I mentioned that New Testament Greek is kicking my academic butt? Found out our course covers in one semester what most seminary Greek classes cover in a year. I feel better... and worse.

Last week we celebrated the first night of Ramadan (in my comparative religious ethics class) with five Malian Imams. They came in full regalia (bright green and copper colored robes with skull caps). One of them might have also had a career with the NBA - that dude was over 7 feet tall, I'm convinced. When he prayed, it took him twice as long to bend his body in half as the rest of them. Wondered if he was in for b-ball recruitment after touring the US colleges on behalf of Islam...

The whole class fasted and we broke the fast midway through class eating an incredible meal from Mejana's - Middle Eastern Restaurant from downtown. Kebabs, chicken and rice, hummus, lemon and olive oil salad with peppers, lettuce, onions and tomatoes, kefta... it was amazing.

There's lots to discuss about that class but I don't have time to craft it! Suffice to say that I have lost hope that we can solve any global problems. Back to planting daisies in my own yard. (Reading Strong Religion right now and hope to post some quotes some day.

Took the kids to the zoo and joined. Liam is destined to work for the zoo. He comes to life there.

Well, that's the big round up. Not so interesting but it's all I've got at the moment.

No comments: