Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What happened to pastors who led marches

instead of leveled slurs against other religions? Richard Cohen writes in the WaPo that today our politicians have to shamelessly seek the endorsement of Christians who are known more for their ignorant, hateful remarks about members of other faiths than they are for their actions that help their fellow human beings.

To get you started:
The pilgrim is making little progress. In a futile effort to convince faith-voters that he is one of them, John McCain paid a visit to the Grahams of North Carolina -- father Billy and son Franklin. After the meeting, not a word was said about the Grahams' past indiscretions concerning Muslims or Jews, and neither, for that matter, was an endorsement proffered. The next guest was country singer Ricky Skaggs. He did better. He got lunch.

McCain plods a cruel treadmill. He has thus far sought the endorsement of the extremely purple Rev. John Hagee and the equally purple Rev. Rod Parsley. Both of them were later asked to unendorse on account of offensive things they've said. But to paraphrase Hyman Roth in "The Godfather," this is the business they're in.

3 comments:

kc bob said...

"What happened to pastors who led marches"

..who are you thinking about Julie?

..Jesse or Al?

I am pretty tired of politicians who tout faith and don't seem to find the time to do church.. how did our electoral process become such that politicians are "too busy" to go to church when they are campaigning.

Now I am not saying that "going to church" is some measure of spirituality.. all I am saying is that folks (like President Bush) who pander to religious folks don't seem to embrace some of the values that those same religious folks embrace - like regularly attending church.

So why do we allow ourselves to be played by the candidates? I suspect that our idealism is the doorway to such political pandering and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I regularly tell people that most (if not all) of the people that I have supported over the last 30 years have done almost nothing to support the issues that I voted them in for.

I don't know about you, but one of my goals this voting year is not to be played by politicians. I am looking for a stateman and hoping that your guy is one.. still watching and waiting.

Color me a realistic political cynic :(

Steve said...

The jazz concert sounded wonderful.

This post sounds mean. I enjoy reading your gushing comments on Obama - I would like to learn from you.

Sure, John McCain made a real moronic belly flop when linking with Hagee. But um, I recall your guy has some skeletons in his closet too.

Now, lets agree to be nice, all the way to Nov. This IS a better way to do this politics stuff.

Unknown said...

I was more interested not in the McCain piece, but the way pastors have become linked to being critical of other faiths. Sorry that it came off as mean to McCain. That wasn't the pivotal point for me.