Monday, April 07, 2008

Good vibrations in CA


(This photo includes: My mom and me - bottom row, and my theological aunt and sister, celebrating my mom's 70th birthday.)

Clearly I didn't post a single photo while on my ten day sojourn through California. I actually (gasp) took time off of writing on my blogs. In fact, I took so much time off (ten days!) that when I returned to my office last night and looked at my desk, I saw a stack of (what is that?) mail (!) and had to think for a minute to figure out what it was and why it was there on my desk?!

California took on a whole different cast this trip. One might dub it: "The week of mid-life crisis, California style." I spent most of the time hashing through mid-life issues with friends, family and self. Crazy what that granola, a little sunshine and salt air does for the soul. Spring cleaning of the self.

Anne Lamott and Elizabeth Gilbert entertained and illuminated. More on them when I can scrounge my notepad from the abyss that is my suitcase. For now, I thought I'd just post a little visual journal of my time away. Enjoy. (Click on the photos for larger versions.)

(San Francisco skyline from 18th Street at Delores Park)

(Valrhona Chocolate to be squirted inside the Pain au Chocolate at Tartine's - the world's "better than France" French bakery, I swear.)

(Santa Cruz Nieces with the green BMW their dad is working on... Who wouldn't want that car... or those girls?)

(4 1/2 yr. old nephew who wants a surfboard for his 5th birthday.)

(Manresa Beach and me.)

(This VW captures most of what I love about California.)

12 comments:

kc bob said...

Great pictures.. looks like you had a great time.. I am jealous.. guess that is why I have to say:

.......GO JAYHAWKS!

Unknown said...

Yes, it was only marred by the utterly despicable collapse of the Bruins. ::covers eyes in shame::

Go JayHawks indeed. I'm rooting for them to beat Memphis, if only because Dave is still in mourning that he didn't win FF (I won, just to remind everyone). Dave needs to win BB. :)

And go you!! Kansas, woo-hoo.

David Blakeslee said...

Umm, I picked Memphis to win the whole thing. I still win the mini-competition between Julie, Kim, Matt and myself (since I picked all of the Final Four, plus Kansas and Memphis in the final game, plus the entire South Regional bracket) - but if Kansas wins, I won't win my company's contest. And I WANNA WIN IT! That would be two of the last three years that I took first place - the only person ever to do so.

But if Kansas wins, I will try to be happy for you, Bob. ;o)

David Blakeslee said...

And just fyi, Julie, I did win a FF championship... back in 1998. And this has NOTHING to do with my self-esteem, so don't even go there!

Jon said...

You look awesome. The California campagne look pale by comparison.

jb

Unknown said...

Ha! Sorry Dave. Thought you had Kansas all the way. Well K-Bob, I'm rooting with you. :)

jb, :)

SUSAN said...

Gorgeous pics! I especially like the one of you. Glad you were able to enjoy the sun and process mid-life at the same time....would love to know what you uncovered in your processing.

Missed your musings here!

Susan

NoVA Dad said...

What great photos -- and I have to admit I'm a bit jealous; I'm looking at all of the wonderful photos of sunshine and views on your blog, and then turning to look out my office window at gray skies, nondescript office buildings, and rain. Tell us more!!

Carrie said...

Good to have you back. I'd love to hear more about mid-life housecleaning. Doing some of that myself.

jo(e) said...

I especially like seeing that top photo. What a strong family resemblance! What beautiful women!

musingwoman said...

Welcome back!

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Thanks for the photo journey of your trip! I miss you!!!