Thursday, August 16, 2007

What is the What?


What is the What?, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

I'm reading this book and can't stop but wish I could. It's the most discouraging portrait of Sudan and the nature of evil I've read in a long time. I keep thinking about the comments many have made that Christianity makes us kinder, more compassionate, decent people. I'm starting to think that actually it's money that does that. Having some. Not a lot, just enough. Seems to me that the best antidote to greed, cruelty and dehumanizing of others might be ensuring that everyone has enough food, shelter and fundamental rights. When those go... well, every side is vulnerable to becoming monstrous, it seems to me.

Anyone else read the book?

3 comments:

NoVA Dad said...

I've never heard of the book before and am curious to learn more. Would you post some more of your thoughts about it after it's done? I might have to try and find a copy; sounds like a powerful book.

David Blakeslee said...

I like Dave Eggers - I read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius several years ago and I enjoy reading the occasional Eggers review, column or whatever that I stumble across every so often. One of my sons is an even bigger fan of Eggers than me - he has a couple of his other books, but not this one. How did you happen to settle on reading What Is The What anyway? Are you an Eggers fan or did you come across the book by some other route?

Unknown said...

Dave, I'm reading it because Johannah was given the book as an incoming freshman to OSU. Dave Eggers is going to speak to the entire freshman class and they all are to have read this book before they arrive at school.

It is interesting to hear more about Dave Eggers. I didn't even realize that he had written other stuff so I'll be looking for his work now. I like his writing style quite a bit. Very creative without overreaching.