Saturday, August 13, 2005

Six Feet Under and Smash Mouth



This brilliant masterpiece of television is nearing the end of its fifth and final season. Only two episodes to go.

They will air a two-part memorium before the finale:
SFU schedule details

If you've missed years of the show, it is available on DVD except for this most recent season. I dreamed about Nate two weeks ago, so potent was that episode. Thank you HBO. Thank you Alan Ball (my favorite writer/producer since "American Beauty").

For all who ponder life, death, relationships, values and the intersection of flesh and spirit, SFU is the artistic and performatist vision bar none that peers unflinchingly into matters of the soul.

On a lighter note, Smash Mouth will be performing at our local West Chester City Center Bash tonight! We, of the "Ratrace" fan club (having watched that movie so many times, our little family has it memorized and can recite entire sequences for hours on long car rides) will be there singing "I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed..."

Good times.

3 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

I narrowly missed getting the first season of SFU for only $22 at a charity silent auction this spring - it was rig-job, I'm convinced - got outbid by one dollar moments before the deadline.

Otherwise, I haven't had a chance to see that program. Will look for a chance to check it out.

But I have been watching "The Office" on DVD, lent to me by a co-worker. Very funny but also touching and true to life in many ways! Are you familiar with it?

Unknown said...

I'd love to get "The Office." I've heard really good things about it. I'll need something now that SFU is ending. So that might be a good choice. I think our library has the whole series. Do you watch the British one?

Julie

David Blakeslee said...

Yes, I am referring to the BBC production of The Office. I am vaguely aware of some Americanized version but have no idea who is in it or if it is any good. A lot of the enjoyment I got from the series was because of its Britishness. But I could see the premise working in an American setting too.

The show only lasted two seasons, plus a final feature-length special. So it's not too hard to take in the entire arc of the series over a weekend or two. Six half-hour episodes each season, pretty simple, but oh how they made me laugh!

Much of the humor is about sex, just to let you know, so put the kids to bed or watch in a non-family room!