Tuesday, August 30, 2005

THE END...

I can't tell you how nice it is to have THE END at the end of that novel. Total number of words: 51,172. 180 pages.

Let's pause and light some incense shall we?

I noticed as I approached "the end" (while cranking out words wildly) that I forgot to tie up the loose ends of several sub plots. Oh yeah! What about that mysterious book? And what did Mitch know? Why did I think he knew it again?

Fortunately, my main character had been in a coma so I could conveniently fix the problems of plot "while she was sleeping." And that, my friends, is exactly the quickest way to send your novel straight to the round file.

All good novels (not mine) have the protagonist triumph over her problems without help. I, on the other hand, have this sick need to have everyone else rescue the damsel. Why? Why? This is my plotting nightmare. I love stirring up a hornet's nest, but then I call in the exterminators. I don't want to beat those bugs back all by myself, do I? Can't I just sleep through it?

Anyway, I sat down and fixed the lost plots and resolved the primary crisis and ended with a line I liked. Fortunately, the two main characters get together (phew) but the baby didn't make it (awwww). The seemingly not so good guy turns out to be more than decent.

Life is harder than expected, but richer too. (Deep)

Anyway, had to share. It was fun, fun, fun.

Pop! There's goes the cork. Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Congratulations! You give me hope that one day after all this time one of my writings will give birth to a novel of my own. I know your flying and enjoy -- and if I remember right it's always fun for those very patient significant others who are just as happy for us too!

Julia S.

Darrell Grizzle said...

Congratulations! I wish you every blessing as your novel advances to publication!