Thursday, April 27, 2006

From Bone-Dry Doctrine—God is Still Juicy

The column for UPI this week was an epiphany for me. Those of you who know my "religious" life best might be surprised to read my use of the word God in this current column. I have much reticence is using it at all as it (even for me) still conjures "big guy in the sky" kind of memories and I so don't mean that at all when I use the term.

Rather, what's come home to me through the study of doctine these last sixteen weeks is that there is some benefit to there being a "more" or "beyond" (even just the hope of there being a "more"). And that possibility, that belief, even, does in some uncanny way offer support and can give us a frame of reference for how we ought to care for one another. I found the descriptions of how we relate to God and how God relates to us to be poetic in all the best ways (source of inspiration and commitment). And that's why I can use the "God" word without feeling hypocritical.

So with those words of qualification, I offer you my reflections on how I responded to a four century journey (1600-2000) through theological reflection and doctrinal development.
UPI column

Julie

P.S. I'm loving the discussion (here on unplugged) about Islam and hope to get back to the comments to those blog entries tomorrow. There's so much to talk about and I want to do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, This is the first time Ive been to your blog in months;an intersection of new computer with little time for blog-surfing. So imagine how flattered I am that you used my picture from Baton Rouge. :-)

Unknown said...

I loved it! I think I emailed you to tell you but now you give me pause. :)

Julie