Thursday, June 16, 2005

Paradise Found for Rocky!!

Thanks for all the input about dog care while out of town.

A local friend found a fabulous dogsitter for me! The best part... this family lives on 100 acres of exquisite grounds and houses three other dogs, an unnumbered quantity of cats (when asked how many they have, the thirteen-year-old daughter replied, "We're not sure... eleven outdoor cats, I think, and a few more indoor cats" I counted FIVE!!), one bunny and one baby python (yes, that's the strangling kind of snake). Clearly these people love animals.

Rocky sort of lost his head when we got there. He couldn't decide which lounging cat to chase first, which dog butt to sniff or what trail of pee to pick up! His head would go one way while his legs would bolt in the opposite direction. Those poor cats... cheap thrill for him. All the chasing pleasure a dog could want for the low price of $13.00 per day. Such a deal! Like a Carnival cruise.

The owners of this spectacular home (floor to ceiling windows on every side with chairs perched in front of them for viewing pleasure) have gorgeous gardens, bird feeders, hammocks, play equipment, and both a lavish deck/gazebo combo and sunroom enclosed in glass. I inquired if I could book a room after we returned from Italy. I promised not to chase cats for the non-cat-chasing discount.

The daughter is a 4-H veteran and will be the primary dog-sitter. At the end of our one hour visit, Rocky started to lose it. By then the 1400 scents I couldn't pick up were overwhelming his sytem. He started to shut down akin to a diabetic who suddenly has an insulin surge.

Clean this air of scents or I keel over and die! was the message.

When he went to the basement to meet the bunny (What bunny wants to be met, seriously?) and heard about the python and then saw all the dogs off leash at once while I was upstairs chatting, well, he freaked. He started barking, hacking and sniffing all at the same time (hack, sniff, choke, sputter, sniff, hack). I came to comfort him. He growled.

Matea (dog-sitting girl) called to him in her high early teen voice. He paused in his fit, trotted straight to her and licked her face. Licked her face - like what? When did they meet? Was this a secret tryst I had known nothing about?

I chose not to take it personally. (We can do that in our forties, I found out.) I took this love-at-first-sight interaction as a sign from the Non-Material Layer. Matea was pre-destined to be his sitter. Hallelujah! The NML must be saying: "This is the resort vacation your dog deserves. Reseve a bunk and send flowers and lambs' ears ahead."

So, dog drama is now over and I'll be able to go to Italy and enjoy Italian smells without guilt. That's how he'd want me to go, isn't it?

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

You seem relieved. Your dog seems... something else.

I got a few chuckles out of your story, glad that this important detail has been worked out.

When do you actually leave for Italy? And for how long? Sounds like you will have some awesome blogging material for us to enjoy!

Bilbo said...

I too enjoyed reading your personal account of the visit to the farm and am glad to see you found a temporary home for your beloved Rocky. Just hope he will want to come back with you and the fam when you get back because after an extensive trip to paradise/wilderness he may not want to return to the hustle and bustle of city life. Hope you and the fam have a wonderful trip to Italy. My aunt took a trip there last fall and loved it. Bring us back some pictures and a story or two to tell. Have a great trip....