Sunday, June 19, 2005

Eenie, meenie, minney, mo

New Testament Greek

Noah turned eighteen yesterday. So way cool. I didn't realize how thrilling it would be to have an adult for a child. We got to see him at his workplace (Barnes and Noble cafe) and watched as every person in the whole store greeted him, ribbed him, wished him happy birthday. He loves his job because, "the people are all so cool. I'm so lucky to work there." Apparently they adore him.

We've been trying to figure out what he is doing next year since he finished high school/home school. I am taking Ethics and NT Greek in grad school. Just so happens that the NT Greek class is both for under grads and grad students. When Noah heard I would be in a class that is focused on a dead language with an incomprehensible alphabet, he drooled. "Mom, do you think I could take it too?"

"Uh, sure."

So I emailed my professor who said if Noah could handle the tedium, he'd love to have him. Tedium? Noah spends the bulk of his online time learning Klingon and a host of other constructed langauges. For his birthday, he wanted a book called The Unfolding of Language which is about the origins of language. So dead languages have that extra special something... they're dead and nobody speaks them. [g]

What I discovered last week is that we could enroll Noah as a special student at Xavier by pulling some strings. I got the usual by-the-book run around at first, but persisted until I found a sympathetic dean in the weekend degree program. She is signing on the right dotted line to make it happen so that Noah can get credit without being a fulltime freshman. So now Noah will be taking the course for credit should he ever want to include it in a degree program.

The best part - we'll be in class together. I think that will be the most fun of all.

Can't wait to download the Greek fonts so I can post in Greek for other NT Greek geeks.

3 comments:

Rick said...

you guys need to watch BACK TO SCHOOL with rodney dangerfield together before taking a class :)

David Blakeslee said...

What an interesting development! Maybe "deep linguistics" will turn out to be a field of interest for Noah that he will be able to develop into a satisfying career of some sort?

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Especially his love of language!

Bari